About Us

The Parish of St. Leonard & St Mary covers about 200 square miles of Southern Ryedale.  It includes part of  the Howardian Hills and the Vale of Pickering to the north, the Yorkshire Wolds to the south and east, and the Vale of York to the west.  It is bisected by the A64 York-Scarborough trunk road.

The parish is at the geographical centre of the Middlesbrough Diocese.  It is approximately 40 miles from Hull and Middlesbrough and 20 miles from York and Scarborough.

It is based on the adjacent towns of Malton and Norton-on-Derwent  and includes over 40 villages and hamlets.

The parish covers (more or less) all of Ryedale south of the River Rye and has similar boundaries to the Anglican Deanery of Southern Ryedale.

The neighbouring Catholic parishes are Scarborough (St George), Filey, Driffield, Pocklington, York (St Aelred and St. Paulinus), Haxby, Easingwold, Ampleforth, and Pickering.

The Parish has a Primary School, St. Mary’s RC Primary School, with 100 children. The majority of children of secondary school age travel daily to All Saints School in York.  Some others attend Ampleforth College.

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien